Sunday, February 1, 2015

Week 3 Project: Storybook Styles

Death Stories and Birth Stories: Styles Brainstorm

Topic: The topic I am choosing is Death Stories and Birth Stories. I hope to find as many stories as possible and choose the most interesting ones for my project. I was immediately drawn to this topic with the opening of Ramayana, and the fact that Rama would have never been born without the help of “magic” rice. I really love that story about Rama and his brothers, and it was sort of rushed over in Ramayana. It was such an interesting way to start an entire epic and I would like to see other storyteller’s versions of their births. Maybe I will be able to get their birth stories in the perspective of their parents and their hardship as they struggled to conceive. I really find the information about Shashthi very interesting. While I may not do a story directly on her, her role cannot be avoided within other’s stories as goddess of children and childbirth. I am also interested into looking into the story of Ravana from the viewpoint other storytellers. I really would like to know if his death story is different from a different author than the perspective Narayan gave us.

Bibliography:

  • Narayan, R. K. (1972) The Ramayana: A Shortened Modern Prose Version of the Indian Epic.
  • Shashthi: Websource: Wikipedia
  • Ravana. Websource: Wikipedia
  • Rama. Websource: Wikipedia


  • Styles:

    1. Mothers (or fathers) telling birth stories. Who would remember someone’s birth story, better than your parents? I like the idea of having a pre-birth story and conception as well as the actually story of someone’s birth itself. There are tons of stories about how gods, humans, and demons came to be but not necessarily a lot of stories told from the standpoint of their mother. A lot of times these individuals sort of just came to exist, so exploring their birth stories seems very interesting to me.

    2. Stories from an onlooker: I also really like the idea of telling a story from the view point of a god or onlooker that sees the whole picture, whether it be someone’s birth or death. Having the perspective of someone who sees everything instead of just the individual’s viewpoint is very interesting to me. This sort of goes hand I hand with Karma (which I almost chose) and someones death or birth may be because of a plan far bigger than they could ever see themselves. That may be a little more difficult to find with the aspect of the stories of everyone else around the individual but I’m willing to give it a try.

    3. Death stories in the viewpoint of a loved one: death is a very difficult thing to process as a loved one. Having someone taken from you is hard to understand, and I would like to see if there are any stories that have family members that tell the story not only of their death but also reminisce on their lives.

    4. And lastly the person themselves:  the last storytelling option I would like to explore is the viewpoint of the individual being born or dying. This may seem unconventional to us, but in such a setting with gods and goddesses, and past and future lives, those individuals may be more aware of their fate and purpose than those around them. I would like to see if these characters have a perspective of their own to tell about their birth or death.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment