Thursday, January 15, 2015

Storybook Favorites

                The first project I explored was The Museum of Goddess Art. The title itself sparked me to visit the page, and with a banner of stars welcoming you into the site, how could I say no! I have always found the concepts of Greek Mythology, and what a better way to explore it than to learn about goddesses. This storybook not only focuses on Greek goddesses, but also Egyptian, and Hindu Goddesses. I know very little about Hindu mythology, and this is a gateway to get to know not just culture, but also specific goddesses, and their powers and principles.

                The second Storybook I explored is The Ganges River. I currently have a bit of knowledge of the Ganges River, in the current scheme of life in India and Bangladesh. Being an Environmental Scientist, this river is often the exaggerated, mega-example of over-population, and its affect on water quality, and functionality, and human health. Seen as sacred, this water is often used to “cleanse” animals, people, and items with its healing power. Being vital to Indian life, I find it so interesting to learn not only of the physical, practical, way it is being used, but also the history and culture imbedded within this vital river itself.


                Lastly I explored How I Met Your Mother. Being obsessed with the show, it was only natural for me to choose it. This Storybook is about three different Fathers telling their kids, (or apparently a hundred kids) how they met their mother. Each of the three stories is completely different with completely different reasons for sharing the story. Let’s face it, we all love stories, even if they are tragic, and these are no exception. Old people + great story + great story time = happy listener and these three stories I’m sure will be just as fun. 

Here is a picture of The Ganges River. Isn't it Beautiful!

2 comments:

  1. Gloria, I think you picked some really interesting storybooks and I enjoyed looking at them! The How I Met Your Mother one is my favorite though! I was also obsessed with that show for the longest time, so I think how they incorporated that show into The Mahabharata is clever. I really like that idea of incorporating modern shows into these Indian epics, including incorporating some of the show's dialogue to add some humor. I also liked the Museum of Goddess Art storybook. I thought the idea of making it a museum was creative, and I loved the pictures that were used on the website.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Gloria!

    I really liked all the storybooks you chose! My favorite by far is the Museum of Goddess Art. Like you I have always had a love for Greek mythology and Egyptian mythology. That storybook is great! I am glad you picked it because if you hadn't I would've missed out on a great storybook! The pictures they used for this storybook were fantastic!

    ReplyDelete